Tuesday, December 8, 2015

When God turns cardio into praise and worship

This morning, I went to the gym. If you lol'ed at that one, you're going to love this one. This morning, I went to the gym and ran. Yes, ran. Running is a relative term, right? I mean, running defined by my friend, Blake, means sprinting for several miles like you're being chased by zombies. Running, to me, means jogging slightly faster than my grandmother power walks. Which, for the record, is pretty fast as far as power walking grandmas go.
Anyways, I hate running. Yes, that's right, I hate it, loathe it entirely. My mother tells me I shouldn't hate people, but she never said I shouldn't hate activities. Everyone in my family runs (for exercise and FUN???), so one might conclude I am adopted, but alas, I am not. I just somehow missed that lovely strand of genetics, drew the short straw there. This running is a somewhat new phenomenon for me. I have tried for several years of my life to follow in my parents shoes. I have tried several different times to grow to love running. I read all the books, bought all the workout gear, did all the stretches beforehand, and drank 39572 glasses of water before, during, and after a running session. But the only thing I have found that can get me through it is Jesus. I recently started praying while I run. It calms my spirit. It relieves my stress. It ultimately leaves my mind and body at ease. While I'm praying and running, I often listen to praise and worship music. Sometimes I get so into it that I begin singing out loud while running on the treadmill at the gym. It's almost like I forget where I am and the fact that I'm surrounded by people.
This morning as I was running, I got so caught up in one of the songs, that I began crying. I don't know if anyone has ever tried to do cardio while crying, but it's a good way to die, really. I had to stop the treadmill and dry it up so I could catch my breath. As I was stopped trying to breathe, it hit me. God wants me to use this song in my wedding.
When my friend, Jessica, got married a few years ago, she had a worship song as part of her wedding. Right after her father gave her away, she and the groom held hands while a talented musician played a beautiful worship song. I don't think there was a dry eye on the stage. It was a special moment, and it really set the tone for the rest of the wedding.
I think we will be copying this. Jessica, maybe you started a trend. I mean, it's my wedding day, the day I marry one of the greatest gifts God has ever given me. Ryan is my good and perfect gift. It only makes sense that I would include a worship song so that I can tell everyone how gracious and merciful and loving my God is. My prayer for my wedding day and our marriage is that we can keep God and each other at the center of it. Pray for us as we continue to plan this wedding, that we can find other ways to show Christ's love and our gratitude to him for bringing us together and giving us this beautiful love and this beautiful life. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I love you! I don't know why, but I decided to read this while getting my hair done... and now I am sobbing in the chair with foils in my hair. I am so excited for you and Ryan! Marriage is the best thing ever! I am also so happy to know that you're blogging! It makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete